Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Staring Contest

I've stumbled upon a bit of frustration recently. I feel as though every time I'm in public, and I'm doing my thing (eating, walking, driving, sitting, whatever) I'm unconsciously and unwillingly involved in something I've come to coin as the "staring contest". What I'm referring to is the concept that if two men meet eyes in public, it is the sole responsibility of each individual to shoot out a stern look and not look away. The one that looks away first is of course the loser. I find myself in this bout day after day while driving, at school or work: pretty much any time I could possibly come into contact with someone of the same gender that I do not know personally. The conflict for me is in this actions display of selfishness and pride. Why is it that a males' status should be judged upon the fact that he can stare at you longer than you could at him? Is what makes a man a real man the fact that he can scornfully make a face and look as though he hates you and his life? Of course this is not what defines manhood, but then why does it occur? Do men have to reassure themselves so much of their masculinity that they must feel the self-gratifying pleasure of knowing that he has won the staring contest? I guess the answer to that question is "Yes", but I would love to live in a world where it was "No". It seems like only in movies, set in England or the Old West, do people greet strangers with a friendly wave and a kind gesture to recognize a fellow human. I would love for the contest to turn into a friendly smile or wave, maybe a quick "hello". I don't see why this world has to be a place where we are all competing to be better than everyone else. Lets be the first to stop the competition and the next time you find yourself in the contest, instead of sheepishly looking away, or returning a spiteful look, try giving a smile. There's no reason why we cannot be kind, compassionate, joyful and loving and still be men. Don't let society fool you and don't let the Staring Contest last any longer.

2 comments:

The Harrison's said...

Oh my goodness do men really do that to each other? Wow. Women usually always smile at each other. Then we look at each others shoes, overall sizes, hairstyle and figure out something we hate about each other. Just kidding! I mean that is what girls in the world do. I think some are really gangster mean too. But I'm an old toot and I threaten nobody, so that is probably why everyone smiles at me. I am like J. Alfred Prufrock!!! "I grow old. I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled." :)

You should just spray them like a tomcat. I bet that would make them smile. No but seriously, that would drive me nuts!

Frankie Franco III said...

I try and smile, but I can count on on hand the times I have had a genuine smile returned... I say we change the world one smile at a time.