Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Can't Buy Me Love

Or can you? I can't get enough of this book, Blue Like Jazz. I was reading a chapter today about loving others. In the excerpt I'm giving you, Don (the writer of the book) was at a lecture at an alumni event (even though he wasn't alumni himself). The professor was discussing the power of metaphors.

"Mr. Spencer then asked us about another area in which he felt metaphors cause trouble. He asked us to consider relationships. What metaphors do we use when we think of relationships? We value people, I shouted out. Yes, he said, and wrote it on his little white board. We invest in people, another person added. And soon enough we had listed an entire white board of economic metaphor. Relationships could be bankrupt, we said. People are priceless, we said. All economic metaphor. I was taken aback.
And that's when it hit me like so much epiphany getting dislodged from my arteries. The problem with Christian culture is we think of love as a commodity. We use it like money."

This hit me like a ton of bricks. I love people as if it is something I have to distribute and to those who I believe "deserve" it. God showed me today that I shouldn't do that. So look out for some lovin' - World.

No comments: